The English Book Club for intermediate and advanced speakers of English
Practice speaking English while doing something you love and connecting with people around the world!
An 8-week programme reading “The Gifts of Imperfection” by Dr Brené Brown
The Book Club is a transformational experience and follows experiential learning practices including peer learning. The language toolkit combined with expert guidance from experienced teachers of English are effective means to step up and maintain your English language skills.
We meet weekly and hold stimulating discussions about the book and relevant themes with participants from across the globe and address language issues when they arise. Sometimes, we stray off topic. This is one of the most effective and affordable ways to expand language and communication skills.
What are we reading this winter?
The Gifts of Imperfection, Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are, by Brené Brown, American researcher and professor
Why should I join this 8-week programme?
You want to:
- Discuss the books main themes suchas overcoming fear and embracing ourselves through courage, compassion and connection
- Speak English more fluently and with confidence
- Learn more about Brené Brown and her philosophy, one of the most well-known American self-development experts
- Give yourself the luxury of growing your language skills and thinking about who you are as you strive to be a better version of yourself
- Practice intercultural communication and share perspectives over a stimulating read
- Listen and reflect to better engage while reformulating an using what you have learned
- You have at least a B1+ level of English
- You want to speak with confidence
- You want feedback to perfect your language skills
- You want to improve your vocabulary and find the right word fast
- You want to get unstuck and overcome a language plateau
- You’re easily bored in a traditional learning environment
- Speak with confidence in professional and social settings
- Find your own voice and access your full skillset in English
- Improve your pronunciation – be understood and unlock more of your potential
- Benefit from Brené Brown’s teachings in The Gifts of Imperfection through discussion and application
- Understand perfectionism, courage and compassion from an American perspective
Why we are the best
- We use our expertise, sense of connection and humor to bring out your best “English self”
- We focus on language AND on culture, body language, tone and nuances to help you slip into any international environment
- We provide you with an English Toolkit to work on pronunciation and overall skills to give further support
- We are responsive and can easily integrate new ideas or requests at any time during the program
How long is the program and how many hours a week do I need to “work”?
The program lasts eight weeks and includes:
- One live meeting per week with experienced teachers
- The English Toolkit
- Weekly review checkpoints
We read about 20 pages a week and take extra time to catch up or delve into points of high interest. You also have the opportunity to consolidate your skills and work on a peer-reviewed presentation.
Depending on your reading speed, we estimate that 2 to 2.5 hours a week is enough to participate in the weekly meetings, read the chapters and use the Toolkit, if needed. This program slips into the busiest of schedules.
I don’t want to miss weekly lessons – what’s the schedule?
We meet at 12 noon UTC+1, Swiss time.
We’re now on YouTube, meet us and comment, or ask a question 🙂 For further details or questions, email us directly at email@example.com
If you love reading or are interested in new ideas to engage in stimulating discussions, our Speaking Clubs for non-native speakers of English are the place to be!
Stay interested and speak with confidence!
- Lots of opportunities to practice speaking English
- Gain confidence and insights through teacher-led and peer feedback
- Sink your teeth into fresh weekly interactive content and work on pronunciation and other skills through the Language Toolkit
Experienced teachers and peers for dynamic learning
More than a course, our Reading and Speaking Clubs are experiences founded on people, exchange and resources that our native and experienced teachers have selected to engage us all. Learning and overcoming language plateaus is possible because we remember experiences more than a set of multiple choice questions.
French and Japanese Reading and Speaking Clubs
Starting soon – join our Waiting Lists so we can email you when the program of your choice is ready!