In Grand-Saconnex, Ancienne-Mairie, April 9-12 2024
Receive camp updates in your inbox and get early bird sign-up discounts:
👉👉👉Quick read: English, Science + Art camps
English in the morning, French in the afternoon
- Ages: for 6 to 10-year-olds
- How: hands-on activities, games, arts, + scientific experiments
- Where: Ancienne-Mairie, Chemin Tornay 1, 1218 Grand-Saconnex
- Fee: full-days from 385 CHF a week per child, while half-day is from 240 CHF a week per child, supplies, mid-morning and afternoon refreshments included
- Time: full day is 9 am to 5 pm, half-day is 9 am to 1 pm, or 1 pm to 5 pm
- Dates: from April 17-21, 2023
Goals of the week
In addition to having fun in a welcoming environment:
- Beginners: learn English, get an ear for it, put together a journal-memory booklet, including simple phrases and questions to express likes and dislikes, some recipes in English, and play games as part of the week’s activities
- False beginners: learn/review basic concepts and gather knowledge in a journal-memory booklet to better tell stories through speaking, drawing, and writing short sentences adapted to each level.
- Native speakers: deepen language skills and expand vocabulary through more detailed storytelling and journaling
Some activities are complementary to afternoon scientific activities – for example, making ice-cream in the morning and understanding the science in the afternoon.
Art and Science
- Understand basic scientific concepts by doing, e.g. evaporation, using water as a driving force (water wheel), etc.
- To illustrate and confirm their knowledge through drawing and the science section of the newspaper (from the English Journalist)
- Relax and recharge through art
Why English and science?
We are immersed in English and science! Yet, the perception that science is “hard” sometimes keeps us from understanding how things work. In this camp, we will examine fundamental science concepts and present them through fun, hands-on activities. In this way, we lay the groundwork for children to better understand the theoretical approaches they encounter in school.
There are so many opportunities to learn and develop English. As English Journalists, children gather information and work with it in many ways: listening, speaking, drawing, playing and writing. This helps them remember and better understand the meaning of important words and structures. Children get to explore topics they like and learn, review or consolidate English fundamentals.
Level of English
From beginner to native – our activities are designed to differentiate levels as needed.
Full week or half-week (5 days) summer camps, small groups
Mornings : English Reporting Fun, all levels
Afternoons : Science and Art (French; teachers speak English & Japanese, too)
In the mornings, our Reporters investigate indoors and outdoors! While having fun, we learn essential words and expressions to conduct our investigations. We talk, we draw, we tinker, the most enthusiastic ones take pictures, and the whole thing comes together in the journalist’s gazette.
In the afternoon, through science, art and engineering, Reporters turn into Engineers and test their hypotheses about air resistance, symmetry, gravity, weight, height… Other related scientific activities in the morning and afternoon include origami, math, geometry and a bit of magic related to optical illusions.
Children bring their own lunch, which can be reheated; healthy snacks (which sometimes reflect the theme of the week) are provided.
- You live in Grand-Saconnex
- You work there
- Your child goes to school here
- Your child is a student with us
385 CHF per week full time, 240 CHF in the mornings from 9am to 1pm, or in the afternoons from 1pm to 5pm, including snacks and supplies
Even if you are in another situation, you are more than welcome to join us for a small additional fee:
399 CHF full time week, 250 CHF mornings from 9am to 1pm, or afternoons from 1pm to 5pm, including snacks and supplies.
Enroll or request further information
Registration is confirmed by email or by telephone.
Or fill out the short form (!) and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
Camps are confirmed and take place as soon as 4 participants have registered.